"The Secretions are men of peace in a world of mayhem. They are poets and onanists and bloodsucking freaks. They are punk rock."

- Joe Queer of the Queers
www.flickr.com
Secretions' items Go to Secretions' photostream

Thursday, January 17, 2008

The El Rio Show Rocked!


Secretions!
Originally uploaded by crystal_secretin
The Secretions played in SF at a bar called the El Rio on Saturday, January 12th.

It was my first time at the El Rio and I must say, I hope it's not my last. The atmosphere was good. The theme was weird...half sea-themed, half-catholic themed. The drink tickets were little laminated pictures of fish and there was a shrine to Virgin Mary on the back porch. But the bathrooms were mostly clean, and there were four of them. And they served Pabst in cans, which made me feel very much at home.

I was already tired to begin with and had a photo shoot the next day, so me and Bethany only stayed until a few minutes after the Secretions played.

The first band, the Scrawnies, were amazing. They were a three piece with male drummer and bassist and female guitarist. The guitarist was doing some seriously crazy shit with her fingers and they looked like spiders dancing all over the fretboard.

The Secretions rocked as hard as ever, and seemed to be having a really good time. It's always good to see them having fun, that's when they play best.

Some rockstars in the audience included most of the Harlets (Johnny, Atom, and Chris) and a couple of Thee Merry Widows.

There was also this guy named George from a band with a weird name that's totally skipping my mind right now. I'm sure someone with correct me soon. Anyway, he looked exactly like a Ramone and the Secretions called him up on stage to sing "Rockaway Beach".

The Secretions also played "Don't Fuck With The Teenage Harlets," which I noticed all of the present Harlets singing along to, and "I'm Gonna Get You So Laid" and dedicated it to Chris. Though I don't think he got laid that night.

After the Secretions played, me and Bethany hung out for a few minutes, then split. As much as I would have liked to have seen the rest of the show, I'm glad we left when we did because we were super tired when we got home and I had to be up and going before I even had time to reach REM.

To see the rest of the pictures from that night, click here. Some were taken by me, more by Vanessa will soon be added.

No comments: