"The Secretions are men of peace in a world of mayhem. They are poets and onanists and bloodsucking freaks. They are punk rock."

- Joe Queer of the Queers
www.flickr.com
Secretions' items Go to Secretions' photostream

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Guest Writer: Joe Friday

Joe Friday is a punk rocker from Vacaville who is one of the more recent and dedicated Secretins. If you stand back and watch him at a show, you can see how into the music he really is. He's unstoppable and insatiable and his support for local music is unwavering. He's unabashedly fun to be around and I genuinely look forward to go to show that I know he will be at, especially if his band, The Disgusteens, are going to be playing. The Disgusteens, new as they are, continue to impress me and I like them more every time I see them. They have an old school sound to them, almost like early British punk, that is nothing but classic and fun to listen to.

Joe Friday. Tougher Than He Looks.

Here, Mr. Friday recounts some of his favorite Secretions memories.

"I don't remember exactly how I found out about the Secretions, but I'm pretty sure Adam from No Admission had something to do with it. (After all, he was the one who helped get me into punk.) But when I did find out about them, I fell for them. Hard.

I remember telling Derek Hazard about them and we became the only Secretins in Vacaville. There was something about the Secretions that attracted me to them. Maybe it was that the songs were simply structured, or that I could relate to the lyrics, or the fact that when it came down to people judging them on how "punk" they are, that they didn't give a damn.

I remember my first Secretions show. It was May 19th, 2007 at the Phoenix Theater in Petaluma, CA. I was so excited. It was also the release for the "Rock-N-Roll 3 Way" that they did with Final Summation (first time seeing them too) and Ashtray (second time).

I remember sending the Secretions a myspace message telling them I was coming, I even said what shirt I would be wearing (it was a Rancid shirt).

I walked into the theater, walked over to the merch table, and there stood Danny Secretion. I thought to myself, "Wow, I can't believe it." It was like meeting a celebrity. I walked up to him and said hello, and he looked at me, thought for a moment, and then said, "Alex?" I laughed and said, "No, it's Joe. Joe Friday."

He smiled and shook my hand and said how nice it was to finally meet me. He introduced me to his girlfriend, Erin, and told her I was on of the Blitzkrieg Zone's (Danny's radio show) biggest fans. I was always calling in and sending myspace messages with requests for songs.

One of the things that Danny did that really struck me as cool was that a few weeks ago I requested the Secretions song "Zombie Girl" on the Blitzkrieg Zone because of a girl I liked. I later found out that she had a boyfriend and was obviously sad and sent a message to Danny about it and asked him to play something for my heartache. But when I met him, he asked me, "So Joe, how's the heartache?" He remembered. He actually payed attention and read my message. That struck a chord with me. I looked at him and told him that I was getting over it and he said to me, "Ah, well, you're young anyway."

I also remembered asking him if they could play "Zombie Girl" at the show that night, and of course, it was on the setlist anyway. But I didn't know that.

That show is where I also met Lys Mayo of Isonomy and struck up a friendship with her. I guess it goes to show that the Secretions can even help you make new friends.

But that first show was so spectacular. I remember Danny introducing me to Paul Filthy and Mickie Rat before they played, Mickie even recognized me from myspace, and Paul remembered when I called him after finding his phone number on his guitar repair flyer. (I thought it was a joke!)

I remember running up on stage, and then doing it again to sing back-ups on the first verse of "The Beast With Five Hands" by the Groovie Ghoulies. They played it instead of "Cemetary Pogo" because the Ghoulies had broken up recently. I still have the setlist from that show up on my wall, with what Danny wrote on it, "Joe is hung like an African Rhino! - Danny Secretion"

The next show, and probably the best, was the Save Our Secretions tour benefit on June 23rd, 2007 at Mickie Rat's house, Casa De Chaos. This time I brought Derek along. We didn't go to the rummage sale, only because we were lazy and didn't want to wake up that early to go. So we went to the barbecue show.


Joe Friday singing with Kepi Ghoulie at the SOS BBQ

We got to see No Admission again, meet Kepi Ghoulie, and even form a short-lived super group with Kepi, the Ant Hill Mob. (Haha)

The highlight of the night was being packed into the basement during the Secretions set. It was great. The band was taking requests for their set. I remember Matt D.G.A.F. wanted to hear "Troublemaker" and he was even sang it. I thought, "Well dammit, if he got to sing his favorite song, so can I!" I shouted out for "Zombie Girl". (I really like this song. Can't you tell?) And then before they played it I asked if I could sing it. Danny said okay and then I took Paul's microphone and sang my heart out.

Danny Secretion showing Joe Friday some love at the SOS BBQ

What a great night.The only night that could equal that was Danny Secretion's Lame Ass Birthday Bash at Club Retro on November 3rd. The only reason that was as cool as the S.O.S. show was that my band, The Disgusteens, was on the bill to play. Now that is awesome.

I hope the Secretions stick around for a long time. I love going to their shows and getting greeted with hugs. I hope that The Disgusteens can play more shows with them."

The Distgusteens rocking the fuck out at the Bday Bash

- Joe Friday

No comments: