"The Secretions are men of peace in a world of mayhem. They are poets and onanists and bloodsucking freaks. They are punk rock."

- Joe Queer of the Queers
www.flickr.com
Secretions' items Go to Secretions' photostream

Monday, August 25, 2008

Gilman Last Saturday

I'm admittedly a little behind with my show write-ups, so I'm going to try and catch up this week before the Distillery benefit show.

Last Saturday (Aug 16th), we all met at Dan's house and tortured his new kitten, Johnny. Once everyone was there, we took off. Paul and Vanessa took her car and the rest of us piled into the van.

Once we were on the road, we started smelling gasoline really strongly so we pulled into a truck stop in West Sacramento to check it out. As it turns out, Lemmy was pissing gasoline all over the road through a busted fuel line. See the newest Ask Paul for more information on that. So...we were fucked. We kept calling people and trying to figure out what to do. Mostly we ate a bunch of gas station food and shook our fists and called Lemmy foul names.

Eventually, Dan called Triple A and waited with Erin to be towed back home while me and Mickie jumped into Vanessa's car and hauled ass to Berkeley. Dan and Erin planned to ride back home with the tow truck driver, then take Dan's car back to Berkeley.

We got there just as (I think) the second band set up - whose name I do not remember (Idiot Box?) - but they had an Asian lead singer and a cool, Queersy sound. I really liked them even though they had some mildly offensive songs (in true tongue-in-cheek pop punk style). It was good natured...until they finished this song that said "fuck women" (though I actually thought it said "fuck ramen") and this guy who I think works there stormed onto the stage, yelled, "yeah, fuck women!" and threw the microphone down off the stage really hard.

Gilman has really strict rules against everything offensive to anyone in anyway, which I can respect, but I think the way it was dealt with was really uncool. The band wasn't banned and they were paid, but it pretty much ruined the majority of the show for me and friends. It was several people's first time at Gilman and I had to keep reiterating that it's not normally like that. Lame.

The next couple bands got no love because everyone was standing around going, "what the fuck just happened?" and feeling really awkward.

Dan and Erin showed up and set up merch. The place looked dead and I thought it was going to suck but as the Secretions tuned up, suddenly a bunch of kids came out of nowhere and the floor was totally packed with skankin', dancin', fuckin'-shit-up little Secretins. Awesome. The guys played a really high energy set and seemed to be having a good time. Roach came up and joined them onstage for a song and looked like she was having a really good time.

At the end of the show, Dan commanded the crowd to pick up the girl who put on the show and carry her around while he sang "I'm Gonna Get You So Laid" to her. She looked pleased and embarassed and it was really cute. Wonder if she got laid?

I ended up having a good time overall and I think everyone else did too. Hope getting sunburned at Warped Tour was worth missing the show for, you assholes.

Click here to see the rest of the pictures. Let me know if you have any of your own to contribute.

No comments: